The Top 17 Benefits of Massage Chairs: A Guide to Relaxation and Well-Being
If you are looking to invest in a massage chair, this blog is for you. In this blog we explore the top 17 benefits these comfy thrones have to offer. Whether you are suffering from chronic pain and stress, a fitness enthusiast, or just someone looking to unwind, a massage chair might be the secret ingredient to a happier, healthier you in 2024.
Massage chairs may help:1. Relieve Chronic Lower-Back Pain: Many office workers and labourers suffer from chronic lower back pain. Massage chairs work wonders in soothing those stubborn aches, making you feel light and rejuvenated.
A study by the American Academy of Pain Medicine saw a 75% (!) improvement in chronic lower back pain.
2. Relieve Tension & Headaches: If you're prone to tension headaches, a session in a massage chair can be a real game-changer, gently easing away that nagging pain.
A systematic review by the Journal of Headache and Pain suggested massage therapy may be as effective as medication like propranolol and topiramate.
We dedicated a full blog post on the effects of massage therapy on headaches and migraines.
3. Reduce Stress & Anxiety: After the pandemic, stress and anxiety are more common than ever. Thankfully, massage chairs offer a peaceful escape, melting away stress like butter on a hot day.
A study published by the National Library of Medicine revealed that a 15-minute massage on a chair significantly reduced stress and anxiety for all 52 employees in a workplace.
Research published by the American Massage Therapy Association shows that massage therapy may be the ideal nonpharmacological treatment for arthritis.
5. Better Sleep: Struggling to catch those Zs? A massage chair can help you into a deeper, more restful sleep.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC): "Insufficient sleep is associated with a number of chronic diseases and conditions—such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and depression—which threaten our nation’s health.
The American Massage Therapy Association published a study on the effect of massage on sleep and found positive results for all participants.
6. Boost Your Immunity: Regular massages can actually boost your immune system. It's like a vitamin pill, but way more relaxing!
Researchers in Cedars-Sinai's Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences have reported people who undergo massage experience measurable changes in their body's immune and endocrine response.
7. Lower Blood Pressure: Sit back and let the massage chair work its magic, helping to lower your blood pressure and keep your heart happy.
This very complicated study on the effects of massage therapy on blood pressure, heart rate and inflammatory markers found significant improvements in just 4 weeks.
8. Promote Relaxation: In today's world, finding time to relax can be a challenge. A massage chair provides an instant relaxation station, right in your living room and is available whenever.
Many people find our massage chairs to be as good as a massage therapist!
This study published by Science Direct found promising results on the effectiveness of massage for muscle soreness and tension.
10. Chronic Neck Pain Relief: Say goodbye to stiff necks and hello to comfort, as the massage chair targets those troublesome neck areas.
According to the CDC, 50 million Americans suffer from chronic pain, and it affects more people than diabetes, heart disease, and cancer combined. Massage therapy is a safe option that has been shown to be effective for many health issues.
11. Improving Cardiovascular Health: Along with diet and exercise, regular massages can contribute to a healthier heart.
According to an article by the Healing Hands School of Holistic Health, regular massage improves blood circulation, lowers blood pressure and slows down the heart rate.
This article by the American Massage Therapy Association describes how clients with Carpal Tunnel find relief after just 1 session with long-lasting improvements after 3-5 sessions.
13. Osteoarthritis Pain Reduction: If osteoarthritis is part of your life, a massage chair can help manage the pain, making day-to-day activities more comfortable.
“Massage helps relieve pain and eases the muscle stiffness associated with arthritis by improving circulation, helping to reduce inflammation. That translates to enhanced blood flow to arthritic joints, improved movement, and reduced pain,”. Source: Arthritis Society Canada.
A study published in the National Library of Health showed beneficial effects of massage on patients with Fibromyalgia. Patients improved in pain, depression and anxiety in 5 weeks.
15. Improve Flexibility and Mobility: Regular massages can help improve your flexibility and mobility, keeping you limber and active.
52 patients with posterior shoulder tightness completed a study on the effects of massage with positive results.
16. Boost Productivity: Feeling more relaxed and pain-free can increase your productivity.
17. Bye-Bye, Constipation: Yes, you read that right! Massage chairs can even help with digestive issues like constipation.
According to this study published by the National Library of Health, abdominal massage decreases the severity of gastrointestinal symptoms, especially constipation and abdominal pain syndrome, and increases bowel movements.
So, there you have it – 17 amazing benefits of owning a massage chair. Whether it’s for pain relief, relaxation, or just an excuse to pamper yourself, a massage chair is a fantastic addition to any home.